POSITION: Bike Month Consultant
COMPENSATION: Based on experience. Variable with increasing commitment leading up to Bike to Work Day on May 10.
ABOUT: Walk Oakland Bike Oakland (WOBO) is a local bicycle and pedestrian advocacy organization dedicated to making biking and walking in Oakland safe, accessible, easy and fun!
WOBO seeks a dynamic and motivated person who will function as our Bike Month Consultant. The Consultant will work alongside the Board of Directors and volunteers to produce Bike Month, which culminates with Bike to Work Day on May 10.
Bike to Work Day, held annually on the second Thursday in May, encourages people to try the “no-pollute commute” with a variety of enticements. Thousands of bicyclists find “Energizer Stations” at strategically placed locations where they can stop, get a canvas bicycle-style bag filled with treats and bicycling information, free coffee, juice or snack; and words of encouragement. This position will be responsible for producing the largest energizer station, a pancake breakfast and transportation fair for 700 at Frank Ogawa Plaza. The Consultant will also organize councilmember-led pedal pools and a giant happy hour at Latham Square. It’s a fun opportunity to celebrate an earth- and heart-healthy alternative to driving to work.
- Logistical event planning and day-of site management
- securing permits and vendors for food and beverage
- building corporate sponsorships and in-kind donations including raffle prizes
- working with city council and city staff to develop official proclamation and event participation
- coordinating with community partners to identify collaborative opportunities (Bike East Bay, Oakland Museum of California, Ford GoBike, etc)
- developing media plan and digital communications strategy
- Experience producing events and acting as organization spokesperson
- Enthusiasm for Oakland and bicycling
- Positive can-do attitude
- Strong multitasking and volunteer management skills
- Evening availability and all-day availability on BTWD
HOW TO APPLY:
E-mail your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org