|July 16, Job Openings Summer Events, and More!|
|In This Newsletter:|
- BRT at Council meeting July 17
- Beer Revolution Meets Bike Revolution
- Parklets & PARK(ing) Day Planning August 9
- Monthly BPAC meeting July 19
- Bikes 4 Life 5th Annual Peace Ride July 21
- PedalFest (end of August)
- WOBO Board Member Recruitment
- Position Announcement: Membership & Outreach Fellow
- Want to Intern with WOBO?
- Upcoming Events
- Get Involved With WOBO
BRT at Council meeting July 17
WOBO is an enthusiastic supporter of Bus Rapid Transit (BRT), but we’re disappointed that the current proposal – from downtown Oakland to San Leandro on International Blvd. – abandons the long-promised bike lanes and pedestrian improvements on Telegraph Avenue. Join us to support BRT’s inclusion of long overdue bike lanes, crosswalks, and transit improvements in East Oakland at the City Council, while also asking our elected representatives to commit to funding the study of bike lanes on Telegraph Ave.
What: City Council Meeting on BRT
Where: Oakland City Hall
When: Tuesday, Jul 17, 5:30pm
Beer Revolution Meets Bike Revolution
Next Saturday, July 21, Oakland will be putting some underused roadway to great use for bikes – the City will be installing its first TWO on-street Bike Corrals! One will be installed in front of the Oakland Museum of California on Oak St. at 11th, so you can take in some art or history and then ride to the other one at Beer Revolution on 3rd St @ Broadway.
This is a great sign of Oakland’s readiness to use tried and true tools to improve conditions for cyclists. Taking advantage of small red zones or no parking zones is a great way to squeeze in much needed parking for 12-20 bikes in one shot. There’s another in the works for the Temescal, and long-standing discussions for Lakeshore.
Ask your local merchants to request one! It will be great for business, and great for the neighborhood. Got another location where we should be pursuing this? Let us know!
Parklets & PARK(ing) Day Planning August 9
Thanks to great WOBO volunteers who parked it in the street to chat with Oakland residents over the first weekend in July at the Jack London Square Night Market and the annual Temescal Street Fair. And thanks to Brian Toy, you can view shots of our crew using new parklet outreach materials created by Jennifer Anderson.
In Temescal, there was palpable buzz for the upcoming 40th Street Parklet at Manifesto Bikes and Subrosa Coffee, but many passersby weren’t familiar with the parklet concept.
All the reason to continue gathering support and to gear up for PARK(ing) Day on September 21st, an annual worldwide event where artists, designers and citizens transform metered parking spots into temporary public parks. It’s a day when local creativity will expand Oakland’s pedestrian landscape to new eyes!
Do you have a business in your neighborhood that you’d like to get involved for PARK(ing) Day on September 21st? Are you excited about supporting the many day-long parklets throughout Oakland that day? Ever crave a sand box outside of your work or to have a living room in the street? Help us plan to make a big splash:
What: PARK(ing) Day Planning Meeting
When: Thursday, August 9th at 6:30 PM
Where: WOBO 2nd floor conference room, 436 14th Street (@ Broadway)
Monthly BPAC meeting July 19
The City of Oakland Bicycle and Pedestrian Advisory Committee meeting is scheduled for Thursday July 19, from 5:30 – 7:30 at City Hall. The general public is welcome. This month, get updates about the progress of the implementation of citywide biking wayfinding signs, the Central Estuary Area Plan, and much more. Third Thursdays, every month. Same time, same place.
Bikes 4 Life 5th Annual Peace Ride July 21
Love bikes, and non-violence? Then Bikes 4 Life’s 5th Annual Peace Ride is for you! WOBO will be riding in solidarity with Bikes 4 Life to show our support for safe streets in Oakland.
The after-ride event is shaping up to be one of the biggest biking events of the year.
What: 5th Annual Peace Ride
Date: Saturday July 21 5:00pm
Starting point: 468 Perkins St. Lake Merrit Oakland
PedalFest (end of August)
Another of Oakland’s major bike parties is happening on Saturday August 18 at Jack London Square, brought to you by the good folks at the East Bay Bicycle Coalition. WOBO will be there, will you?
Where: Jack London Square
When: Saturday August 18, 11:00am – 8:00pm
WOBO Board Member Recruitment
WOBO is a volunteer-run organization guided by a group of dedicated board members. Currently the WOBO Board consists of a diverse group of urban planners, campaign and policy hawks, foundation leaders, public health advocates, and marketing and finance professionals.
We are always on the hunt for new energy, to broaden the circle of community leaders who will take WOBO to the next level. Time commitment is about 4 to 8 hours per month.
If you are interested in being a WOBO Board member, send us an email.
Position Announcement: Membership & Outreach Fellow
Come work with us! WOBO is currently looking for a Membership and Outreach Fellow to join our team.
Responsibilities will include:
- Coordinate and fulfill new membership requests and renewals
- Manage the WOBO database (Salesforce)
- Coordinate materials and collateral development and distribution
- Provide assistance coordinating outreach at events
- Maintain the online WOBO event calendar
- Develop volunteer management system and coordinate volunteer trainings
- Assess and coordinate volunteer needs for WOBO, working with WOBO Membership & Events Committee
- Develop and coordinate communications calendar for WOBO projects, campaigns and appeals
- Manage WOBO’s online outreach efforts, including WOBO’s website, Facebook, and Twitter
- Perform general administrative duties such as responding to inquiries from members, partners, and vendors; processing mail; and managing supplies and marketing collateral.
Ideal applicants will possess the following:
- Interest in Marketing/Membership/Outreach
- Strong track record of coordinating team projects
- Excellent oral communications skills
- Strong multitasking ability require
- Cheerful, friendly, upbeat outlook
- Natural leadership qualities
- Web/html experience
- Graphics savvy (Adobe Creative Suite)
- Perky (yet professional) Writing Style
- Familiarity with biking and walking in Oakland
- Commitment to building a sustainable and more livable Oakland
- Experience with Salesforce
This is a part-time position with a monthly stipend. All interested applicants should send cover letters, resumes, and references to Mel Schultz.
Want to Intern with WOBO?
Gain valuable skills and advocacy experience while helping build a strong voice for pedestrians and cyclists in Oakland. This is an excellent opportunity for a person who’s interested in building sustainable cities and to gain valuable hands-on experience in the nonprofit field. Tasks may include assisting in and leading projects in member communications, managing the membership database, recruiting new members, tabling, managing volunteers, updating website and social media, and more.
This internship offers a flexible schedule within a preferred 12-hour/week, 6-month commitment. Send inquiries to Mel.
July 17: Oakland City Council meeting on BRT
July 19: The City of Oakland Bicycle and Pedestrian Advisory Committee meeting
July 21: Bike 4 Life
August 9: WOBO Planning Meeting for PARK(ing) Day
August 18: PedalFest
September 21: PARK(ing) Day
Get Involved With WOBO
WOBO is always looking for more folks to get involved with our volunteer-powered projects! Here’s how you can help:
- Become a Fan of WOBO on Facebook, follow us on Twitter, or join our Flickr group.
- Drop us a line by email (or any social media) and let us know what you think, do or feel when it comes to walking and biking in Oakland. Your pet peeves, favorite walks and rides, areas that need improvement – we want to hear from you!
- Can you volunteer in any of the following areas? We especially need help with our campaign to create a bike network in Oakland:
- Oakland Bikeways Campaign – Info@wobo.org
- Parklets for People – Shannon@wobo.org
- Outreach/Events Staffing – Info@wobo.org
- Fundraising – Info@wobo.org
- Campaigns/Grassroots Organizing – Liza@wobo.org
- Membership – Info@wobo.org
- Web Content/Development – Info@wobo.org
- Graphic design (t-shirts, flyers, etc.) – Info@wobo.org
- Coordinating Volunteers/Interns – Info@wobo.org