|May 29, 2012 Big Win for Oakland Bikeways|
|In This Newsletter:|
- Bike Lanes on Broadway: Approved!
- Get Ready for a WOBO Summer
- Volunteer Open House
- Got Mad Google Apps Skills? WOBO Needs Your Help
- Mark Your Calendar
- Get Involved with WOBO
Bike Lanes on Broadway: Approved!
Since WOBO began pushing for the completion of Oakland’s bicycle master plan in 2007, Bike Broadway & East 12th Street have been priorities for safe, dedicated, and connected bicycle access routes. These routes will combine to offer a continuous bikeway of nearly 10 miles from Lake Temescal to the Fruitvale, and ultimately to the Bancroft bike lanes.
This week, the City Council approved two critical chunks of this corridor! These key stretches are Broadway from College to 40th St., and East 12th St. from 14th Ave. to Fruitvale Ave. This huge victory for WOBO’s members and Oakland cyclists is long overdue, and WOBO’s hard work with local merchants (80), neighborhood groups, hundreds of residents, and you – our volunteers and members – made it happen.
With this victory in the books, coming on the heels of the Franklin/Webster striping in December 2011 now is the time to build on our success. With bike lane approval coming for 10th Street, we are getting closer to our vision of continuous and connected routes across all of Oakland. To keep the momentum going, we need you to step up and help out. WOBO’s bikeways campaign is just getting started. Projects for key streets like 10th St., Telegraph Ave., 14th St. in West and Downtown Oakland need your support if they are going to happen. The city is gearing up, and we think there’s a great chance to accelerate project delivery!
Get Ready for a WOBO Summer
We’re dusting off our sandals and lining up the SPF for a summer season of walking and biking events. Interested in a picnic with other friendly WOBO fans? How about a leisurely ride on some of the newest segments of bikeways to an outdoor movie night? WOBO likes to mix in the parties with the planning, so keep an eye out for upcoming events.
Have your own ideas for walking/bicycling fun? Let us know
We’re always on the lookout for fresh ideas, and could use some help organizing and getting the word out about these fun summer activities.
Volunteer Open House
Itching to get involved? Come and learn about each of WOBO’s active campaigns and working committees, and see how you can be a part of bringing the vision of a more bicycle and pedestrian friendly Oakland to life. Light refreshments provided (yum!). Free secure bike parking in the basement of the building (yay!), or just a short walk from City Center BART.
Join us on Thursday June 14, from 6:00pm – 7:30pm, at 436 14th Street, Oakland – Second Floor Conference Room.
Got Mad Google Apps Skills? WOBO Needs Your Help
Not so sure about community organizing but willing to support WOBO with your computer skills? WOBO is looking for an uber-techie volunteer to migrate all of our working documents into Google Apps. Two to four hours commitment. If you are interested, let us know.
Mark Your Calendar
WOBO volunteer open house: Thursday, June 14 6pm – 7:30pm, 436 14th St., Oakland – Second Floor Conference Room
Next Campaigns & Policy meeting: Tuesday, June 5, 6-8 pm @ WOBO conference room (standing 1st Tuesday)
You can also check out our events calendar to find out what’s coming up!
Want to Get More Involved with WOBO?
WOBO is always looking for more folks to get involved with our volunteer-powered projects! Here’s how you can help:
- Like WOBO on Facebook, follow WOBO on Twitter, or join our Flickr group.
- Drop us a line by email (or any social media) and let us know what you think, do or feel when it comes to walking and biking in Oakland. Your pet peeves, favorite walks and rides, areas that need improvement – we want to hear from you!
- Can you volunteer in any of the following areas? We especially need help with our campaign to create a bike network in Oakland:
- Oakland Bikeways Campaign – Liza@wobo.org
- Parklets for People – Shannon@wobo.org
- Outreach/Events Staffing – Jesse@wobo.org
- Fundraising – Info@wobo.org
- Campaigns/Grassroots Organizing – Liza@wobo.org
- Membership – Jesse@wobo.org
- Web Content/Development – Info@wobo.org
- Graphic design (t-shirts, flyers, etc.) – Info@wobo.org
- Coordinating Volunteers/Interns – Jesse@wobo.org