RiDE LiKE A GiRL is our women’s bicycling workshop program.
Walk Oakland Bike Oakland, with support from Bike East Bay, presents year FOUR of RiDE LiKE A GiRL, a bicycling skills workshop designed for every woman who wants to ride.
April 14, 2019: Commuting Basics (Bike East Bay HQ in Jack London Square)
May 12, 2019: Cyclofemme ride with Oakland Public Library (Bay Bridge Bridge Yard – Treasure Island)
June 22-23, 2019: Bike Camping (Coyote Hills Regional Park, Fremont)
Our goal is getting more women comfortable and confident on their bicycles, and feeling more connected with a community of women who want to bike! Our workshops are open to all women, trans and femme folks who want to join.
“With RLAG, I really didn’t know what to expect, but from the beginning I felt like everyone was very warm and friendly and accepting of each other, and I loved the education aspect of it.” Jeannie, RLAG 2017 Participant
Pick from any of the three workshops, or all three. The workshops are FREE for WOBO and Bike East Bay members, and suggested donation of $15 per workshop. (Registration through Eventbrite opens about a month before each workshop)
April 14 – The first workshop focuses on commuting basics, just enough chatting to get the fundamentals and rules of the road etched in our brains; and a 5-mile skill-building confidence-boosting ride to test out some of the basic skills.
- 10am – 1pm @Bike East Bay office in Jack London Square (466 Water St., Oakland, CA 94607). Come by 9:30am and get a quick visual safety check by our fabulous League Certified Instructor, Kelly.
- First hour of workshop will be a discussion and interactive Q&A
- At around 11, we’ll head outside, try out a few riding skills and visit bike storage options around transit and on the street. We’ll even give a quick tour of a Bikeshare pod.
Register for Bike Commuting Basics Workshop HERE.
May 12 – We join the Oakland Public Library on a Cyclofemme ride on the Bay Bride path to Treasure Island and back. More details to come. But what we can share is: fun brunch activities are involved!
June 22-23 – Ever thought of bike camping? We have. And we love it. This time we head to Coyote Hills Regional Park in Fremont for an overnight trip.
Attend one of three pre-camping workshops so we can talk gear, share camping and schlepping tips, and even chat about food and pooling of resources.
- Tuesday, June 11, 6:00pm at Luckyduck Bicycle Cafe, 302 12th Street, Oakland, CA 94607
- Wednesday, June 12 at 5:30pm at CentriPEDAL Bikes, Thornton Plaza Retail Center, 3636 Thornton Ave, Fremont, CA 94536
- Monday, June 17, 6:30 pm at Trek Bicycle Berkeley, 2480 Shattuck Ave, Berkeley, CA 94704
Register for Bike Camping HERE.
Every woman is warmly welcomed at our workshops! Suggested donations of $15 per workshop. If you’re already a WOBO member (for $35 good for 12 months), it’s on us. Ready to sign up or Join WOBO?!
As a bonus, join us at our monthly (every fourth Thursday of the month January through October) Women Bike Happy Hour. Each month features a different watering hole where we come together off the saddle and chill. Bring your friends!
What’s on tap in 2019?: 5:30 – 7:30pm, 4th Thursdays each month January through October
- January 24: Mak Westing
- February 28: KonTikki
- March 28: Woods Bar and Tavern
- April 25: Federation Brewing
- May 23: Mad Oak
- June 27: Trappist
- July 25: Temescal Brewing
- August 22: Lost & Found
- September 26: Telegraph Beer Garden
- October 24: TBD
For more information regarding Women Bicycling programs across the East Bay, visit BikeEastBay.org/WomenBike.