RiDE LiKE A GiRL is our women’s bicycling workshop program.
Walk Oakland Bike Oakland, with support from Bike East Bay, presents year three of RiDE LiKE A GiRL, a bicycling skills workshop designed for every woman who wants to ride. Our goal is getting more women comfortable and confident on their bicycles, and feeling more connected with a community of women who want to bike! Our workshops are open to all women, trans and femme folks who want to join.
“With RLAG, I really didn’t know what to expect, but from the beginning I felt like everyone was very warm and friendly and accepting of each other, and I loved the education aspect of it.” Jeannie, RLAG 2017 Participant
Pick from any of the three workshops, or all three. The workshops are FREE for WOBO and Bike East Bay members, suggested donation of $15 each for all others. (Registration through Eventbrite opens about a month before each workshop)
March 11 – The first workshop focuses on commuting basics, just enough chatting to get the fundamentals and rules of the road etched in our brains; and a 5-mile skill-building confidence-boosting ride to test out some of the basic skills.
- 10am – 1pm @Bicycle Coffee in Jack London Square (364 2nd St., Oakland, CA 94607). Come by 9:30am and get a quick visual safety check by our fabulous League Certified Instructor, Kelly.
- First hour of workshop will be a discussion and interactive Q&A
- At around 11, we’ll head outside, try out a few riding skills and visit bike storage options around transit and on the street. We’ll even give a quick tour of a Bikeshare pod.
June 9-10 – Ever thought of bike camping? We have. And we love it. This time we head to Point Pinole in the East Bay Regional Park District for an overnight trip.
- Pre-camping workshops will be scheduled 1 to 2 weeks out so we can talk gear, share camping and schlepping tips, and even chat about food and pooling resources.
- At least one workshop will be held at Trek Bicycle Berkeley (2480 Shattuck Ave, Berkeley, CA 94704)
September 9 – We thought we’d end the 2018 season with a workshop on finding the perfect bike for you. This workshop provides tips on choosing the right bike(s), and offers insights from finding the best fit for your riding style to keep you comfortable and happy on two wheels. We’ll hold this workshop at Laurel Cyclery (3715 MacArthur Blvd, Oakland, CA 94619)
- We’ll spend some time browsing all the different types of bicycles, step through what each style is best suited for based on your personal style of bicycling.
Every woman is warmly welcomed at our workshops! Suggested donations of $15 per workshop. If you’re already a WOBO member (for $35 good for 12 months), it’s on us. Ready to sign up or Join WOBO?!
As a bonus, join us at our monthly (every fourth Thursday of the month January through October) Women Bike Happy Hour. Each month features a different watering hole where we come together off the saddle and chill. Bring your friends!
What’s on tap in 2018?:
- January – Federation Brewing
- February – Woods Bar and Brewery
- March – Tamarindo Antojeria
- April – Minimo Wine Bar
- May – Telegraph Beer Garden
- June – Arthur Mac’s Tap n Snack
- July – Mad Oak
- August – Temescal Brewing
- September – Rosamunde Sausage Grill
- October – (TBA)
For more information regarding Women Bicycling programs across the East Bay, visit BikeEastBay.org/WomenBike.